MultiCPU opteron Kernel configuration.

Phil Allsopp phil at virtek.com
Wed Jul 27 10:55:10 GMT 2005

Hi all,

I have a Tyan Tiger K8S PRO twin opteron board and want to run FreeBSD 5.4
in twin CPU mode. However, when I re-configure the kernel, I add

options SMP

and rebuild everything and see no errors, however I see no multiple CPU
usage after rebuilding, installing and rebooting the machine.

On older versions of FreeBSD, I used to add

options APIC_IO

to the kernel conf file to get a multiple CPU system running, but 5.4 AMD
version of FreeBSD doesn't seem to recognise this.

Information seems to be thin on the ground about dual CPU's under
FreeBSD  5.4 AMD 64 and wondered if anyone could point me the right direction.

Thanks in advance.

Phil.