fatal trap 12 in pagedaemon on dual-core opteron machine

Gary Mu1der gmulder at infotechfl.com
Mon Jul 11 15:33:35 GMT 2005

All,

I can confirm that I've had numerous crashes that seem to be network
related using 5.4R AMD64 on a dual AMD Tyan S2882 Thunder K8S PRO.

Removing the Berkley Packet Filter and IPFilter from the kernel reduced
the frequency of the crashes. Moving from the onboard bge to the onboard
fxp interface didn't seem to make much difference. Running the GENERIC
uniprocessor kernel seemed to eliminate the problems.

I got conformation that there seems to be locking issues with the multi
threaded implementation of the network stack from Gleb Smirnoff
(glebius at freebsd.org). Gleb suggested setting "debug.mpsafenet=0" to
turn off multi-threaded networking (as far as I understand):

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2004-August/035253.html

This initially looked like it fixed the problem, but my system crashed
again a day later.

Gary