fatal trap 12 in pagedaemon on dual-core opteron machine

Brad L. Chisholm blc at bsdwins.com
Fri Jul 8 19:15:14 GMT 2005

On Thu, Jul 07, 2005 at 12:38:01PM -0400, Rob Watt wrote:

> Have you or has anyone else on the list had any more thoughts on this
> panic problem? We really need for these machines to be stable. We are
> happy to provide more data or do whatever else is necessary to get this
> resolved.

I don't have any insight on the cause of this, but I thought I'd chime in
and mention that we have seen this exact same panic on a single-core
Opteron box.  It doesn't happen often (we've seen it 4 times since Feb),
but the location appears to be the same.

This box is running a fairly old FreeBSD 5.3-STABLE from Feb 2.  I was
going to try updating it later this month in hopes that this problem
had been fixed, but this report makes it sound like it's still lurking.

Our hardware specs:

  2 x Opteron 244 processors
  Tyan 2880 k8s motherboard (bios 2.02)
  6 x 1Gb PC2100 Registered ECC memory