AMD64 X2

Alex Zbyslaw xfb52 at dial.pipex.com
Fri Jul 1 09:50:42 GMT 2005

On 6/30/05, JM <jmartin37 at speakeasy.net> wrote

>Page 2 of the second last link has this to say, regarding
>compatibility of the X2 chips with existing motherboards:
>
>http://anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2397&p=2
>"...
>On the desktop, the Athlon 64 X2 series is fully compatible with all
>Socket-939 motherboards.  All you need is a BIOS update and you're
>good to go."

The A8V Deluxe the original poster asked about, certainly claims on it's
website to support X2 and has numerous recent BIOS updates to "prove"
it.  Not aware if there are any bootstrapping problems (the board is
unlikely to come with latest BIOS).

The board itself works OK under FreeBSD i386 (ACPI support poor, but
doesn't seem to break anything and the serial ports come out backwards;
other than that has been good for me the last month) but I don't have an X2.

--Alex