Configuration of Compaq R3000

Kelly Black kjblack at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 12:21:34 PST 2005

Dear Jung-uk Kim,

It works! Thank you! I downloaded it and built the module. I can't
read Japanese so the readme was not much use. I blindly tried "make ;
make install" and it put the module in /boot/kernel. Fortunately, the
comments in the program are pretty good. When I tried "kldload
acpi_ppc"  it loaded the module with no trouble. (I had already
applied the patchs that you had posted earlier.)

This time when I ran it the time was down to 95 seconds which is
faster than my desktop system, a one year old P4, and is much faster
than CygWin. (Our opteron system runs this program in 81 seconds.) It
was pretty cool to start the process up and a little while later hear
the fan kick in. There is nothing like instant feedback! :-)

The only problem is that I have to run the machine with acpi enabled
to take advantage of the driver. I've had some stability problems with
acpi enabled so I will probaly only use this under special
circumstances.

Again, thank you for this pointer and thank you for all your work on
this machine. Your work made it possible to get FreeBSD working on
this beast. It has been surprising how many little things  have made
this machine so difficult to configure.

I will try to attach a copy of the program and makefile with this
email as per your request. To create an executable type "make hermite"
and then run the executable, ./hermite, from the command line.  You
will have to create a directory called "graph" wherever you happen to
put the files because at the start of the run it writes a file to that
directory.

Finally, there is a stochastic component, and a random variable is
added at each time step. The time required will vary from slightly
from run to run, so you have to make multiple runs and average them to
get a better idea of how long it takes. This is not quite the full
blown version. We double the matrix size and double the time steps for
the bigger problem and have to make multiple runs because of the
stochastic part.

Sincerely,
Kel