6.0 boot CD does not boot?

Palle Girgensohn girgen at FreeBSD.org
Thu Dec 1 16:18:59 GMT 2005

--On torsdag, december 01, 2005 13.45.02 +0100 Olaf Greve <o.greve at axis.nl>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Normally if the i386 version boots from a CD-ROM drive, then so should
> the amd64 version (in the same drive). So, unless the burning of the
> CD-ROM somehow failed and/or the CD is damaged, it should really work.

It was in fact the CD that was broken, or actually two CDs. Maybe it was
the burner, I'm having difficulties with that brand, it stops working
sometimes, very odd. I borrowed a PowerBook and it went geschwinnt.

> Nowwwww, having said that, I once made an extremely stupid mistake. In
> fact, it's so stupid that I was not going to tell it to anyone, but then,
> there is a remote possibility the same happened to you, sooo (*blush*):
> did you actually check if your burning program _interpreted_ the ISO file
> and burnt the _contents_ to disc (which would be correct), or whether it
> just burnt the ISO image _itself_ to disc (which would explain why the CD
> doesn't boot ;) )?

This almost happened when my collegue was going to burn the CD om the Mac,
but I pursuaded him to do it "the right way". Happens to everybody, I
guess... :)

Cheers,
Palle