4 GB RAM showing up as 3, BIOS memory hole and all that

Martin Nilsson martin at gneto.com
Thu Aug 18 20:12:28 GMT 2005

Vivek Khera wrote:

> On Aug 17, 2005, at 10:36 AM, Martin Nilsson wrote:
>
>> The E stepping Opteron can remap memory. The earlier versions can't.
>>

> How does one tell the stepping is E?  My dmesg.boot says "Id = 0xf5a
> Stepping = 10" on my 246 CPUs.

The document here:
http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/25759.pdf
Says that it is stepping CG, the one before E4. This one is common in
shops right now.

You can get the meaning of the ordernumber (number on top of the CPU) at
this page: http://www.amdcompare.com/us%2Den/opteron/Default.aspx

I have not been able to get E4 stepping 246:es yet in Sweden, they are
simply not available yet.

Regards,
Martin Nilsson