Building JDK15 for AMD64 -- status of the "long-command" error?

Greg Lewis glewis at eyesbeyond.com
Wed Aug 17 04:27:12 GMT 2005

On Wed, Aug 17, 2005 at 11:08:04AM +1000, ? ? wrote:
> For the archives - when I first installed it, I had the 'long command'
> issue and naively didn't write it down expecting it to come up again
> when the next portupgrade happened along... Ever since then it builds
> successfully... and I won't be in a position to completely remove and
> reinstall to locate this error for some time.

Thats because the successive portupgrades will use the installed native
JDK to bootstrap the build rather than reverting to using the Linux JDK
it had to use originally.  This problem is only seen with the Linux JDK,
it isn't seen with a native JDK.

> Someone provided some scripts to check the command line length
> problem, but they ran for >24 hours on my box without erroring out - I
> changed the 'jump size' to 6 levels and re-ran it with same results,
> albeit for a much shorter time (about an hour).
>
> 5.4-STABLE on AMD-64/3000+/2GB/Asus A8V Deluxe
> > java -version
> java version "1.5.0-p1"
> Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build
> 1.5.0-p1-gm_13_aug_2005_14_37)
> Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build
> 1.5.0-p1-gm_13_aug_2005_14_37, mixed mode)

Same problem - this is the native JDK, it won't show the issue.

Greg Lewis                          Email   : glewis at eyesbeyond.com