32bit Linux dri apps on FreeBSD/amd64?

Ville-Pertti Keinonen will+freebsd-amd64 at will.iki.fi
Mon Aug 15 06:18:07 GMT 2005

Roland Smith wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 14, 2005 at 05:04:46PM +0100, Hugo Silva wrote:
>
>>This is not related to AMD64, but will enemy territory run fine with dri
>>?? I have an ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 on my laptop (5.4-RELEASE) and I'd
>>like to play there since it is a lot better than the card on my
>>workstation, but I've been unable to, because I don't know any good
>>opengl driver for ati/freebsd .. I've not researched about this issue
>>for some time now, would I be able to play with decent FPS using dri?
>

> The latest Radeon chip to be supported by open source drivers in Xorg is
> the 9250. There is a binary-only i386 driver for later models available

There is some (incomplete) support for cards based on R300-series chips
(including the Mobility 9700 aka. M10).  There's some info on
r300.sourceforge.net, and a FreeBSD version that seems to work is
available by installing the following ports:

graphics/dri-devel
x11-server/xorg-server-snap

It also requires -current or RELENG_6 for the kernel-side support,
although backporting to 5.4 might be as simple as copying the
sys/dev/drm directory.

Lacking a linux_dri-devel, it won't work with Linux binaries, and the
driver might not be complete enough for some games yet.

Relevant to this list, it does work on FreeBSD/amd64.

> from NVidia.

Which obviously doesn't support later model Radeons, although it does
support NVidia cards of comparable generations.  But you can't usually
switch graphics chipsets on a laptop...