64-bit firefox

Ken Gunderson kgunders at teamcool.net
Wed Aug 10 17:06:32 GMT 2005

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 09:58:20 -0600
Greg Lewis <glewis at eyesbeyond.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 10, 2005 at 01:06:23AM -0600, Scott Long wrote:
> > I've been using Mozilla (the real Mozilla) on FreeBSD/amd64 for several
> > months and have had few problems with it.  Despite the wishes of the
> > Firefox team to pretend that Firefox is somehow the holy blessed
> > browser, you'll have to pry Mozilla from cold, dead hands.  The only
> > thing I hate more than Firefox is the thick stench of propaganda
> > surrounding it.
>
> For a different perspective, I can't get Mozilla to work on my amd64
> box at work, the port hangs while trying to register things during the
> install step.  In comparison firefox has worked well for me.  I'm
> running 5.4.

I'm not a developer but have heard that FF is optimized for Windows
platform.  It is certainly noticeably slower than either
Konqueror, Epiphany, or Galeon on my dated workstation.  If you need
lots of bell/whistles/ extensions, etc. it may be the way to go but
otherwise I think there are better options for us *nix people.  And,
fwiw, a couple months back I spent a couple days playing with all of
them w/ exception of Opera.  They just don't get the dedicated mass
marketing efforts that are invested into FF.  If they did....

--
Best regards,

Ken Gunderson

A: Why is putting a reply at the top of the message frowned upon?