Tyan S2885 Thunder K8W lockups

Scott Long scottl at samsco.org
Tue Aug 2 18:37:14 GMT 2005

David O'Brien wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 27, 2005 at 03:43:29PM +0900, NAKATA Maho wrote:
>
>>Hello
>>sometimes my opteron box locks up recently,
>>it seems that there are some discussion about this issue
>>on the list.
>
> ..
>
>>* set hw.physmem="4G" doesn't help
>

> Try something like "3G" instead.
>

>>workaround:
>>on board GbE (bge0) and SATA disabled.
>

> I've found that the Silicon Images SATA driver isn't >4GB clean.
> I can easily panic my Iwill DK8X with 8GB of RAM when I try to use a
> Silicon Images based SATA mirror.

Is it not 64-bit clean, or is that it doesn't handle more than 32 bits
of data address space correctly?  There's a sharp difference.  Take the
asr driver for example; it isn't 64 bit clean because it tries to
store kernel data pointers into 32-bit quantities.  It also doesn't
work with more than 32bits worth of data memory because, well, it sucks.
Anyways, I know that the SiL311x parts do not do 64-bit data addressing,
so it's up to the driver to use busdma correctly.  Since it works on
AMD64 with less than 4GB of RAM, I suspect that it's 64-bit clean, but
it doesn't use busdma correctly.

Scott