5.3, amd64, k8s pro locked up just now

Tom Shafron phred1975 at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 26 11:02:18 PDT 2005

--- David O'Brien <obrien at freebsd.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 22, 2005 at 08:19:16PM -0700, Tom
> Shafron wrote:
> > Yup, I also have 5.3 running on a very similar
> i386
> > machine that is way more active (it's the main dev
> > machine) and it hasn't had a single problem.
> Seems
> > that the issue is something specific to the amd64
> > release...
>
> Nope.  Related to >=4GB RAM.  i386 with PAE kernel
> has the same issues.
>
> --
> -- David  (obrien at FreeBSD.org)

The machine I had the problems on only had 2 GB of RAM
though....  I think I isolated what happened and can
stop it from occuring again even though I don't really
know why it causes a crash.

Basically I can cause the crash to occur when I create
large amounts of file backed non-synced shared memory
(about 1 GB) and write to it with random acces just
before apache shuts down.  The solution is to not do
that anymore ;)

Now that I have that issue out of the way I'm not
having any problems and it seems stable...

-Tom