Recommendations?

David O'Brien obrien at freebsd.org
Tue Apr 19 10:32:55 PDT 2005

On Sat, Apr 16, 2005 at 01:03:31PM +0200, O. Hartmann wrote:
> I have ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe mobo. BIOS revision is 1006. I have no
> problems with
> ACPI. APIC works with NO_MIXED_MODE commented out in kernel.

Disable the NO_MIXED_MODE option is a performance degradation.
Bending over and taking it up the a** across all motherboards (which DES
has forced on 5.4-RELEASE); makes the ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe not "perfectly
working".

So yes people, you CAN get FreeBSD working on nForce-based motherboards.
BUT how much do you want to sacrifice??  Degradation performance, not
being able to use PowerNow!, not being able to use on-board NIC's, not
being able to use on-board sound, etc...  Why go thru all this when there
is ZERO need to?????????????  When one buys a motherboard, they have the
choice to pick a motherboard that won't cause you major pain.  So why not
just do that??

> The only point I would complain about is the still 'GENERIC'
> SATA150/SATA300 (switched back to UDMA33)
> controller of the nForce4 chipset, but as DES answered me on a prior
> posting this is due to a too fresh chipset.

Another thing that isn't working for some nForce-based motherboards.
Why not buy hardware that is well supported by FreeBSD today?

--
-- David  (obrien at FreeBSD.org)