Recommendations?

Florent Thoumie flz at xbsd.org
Sat Apr 16 04:55:15 PDT 2005

Le Saturday 16 April 2005 à 13:43 +0200, Roman Neuhauser a écrit :
> # flz at xbsd.org / 2005-04-16 00:23:43 +0200:

> > > There are?  Which??  The SK8N that DES will respond to my email is
> > > actually high on the "bizzare issues" list.
> >
> > 	I have an Asus A8N-SLI (nforce4) Motherboard based box running
> > 	5-STABLE for some time now. Issues are :
> > 	x ACPI (quite common),
> > 	x Sound (not much a problem since I have an Emu10K1 based sound
> > 	card which is far better),
> > 	x Network (sk0 works fine, but not should-be-nv0),
> > 	x USB (no clue, I'm not using it ATM but firewire works).
> >
> > 	The system is totally usable,
>
>     You have listed things that are *not* usable, which means the board
>     is not *totally* usable. Please think a bit about what you post. :)
>
>     So, what *does* work on the board? PS/2 mouse / keyboard, ATA,
>     PCI-E graphics, and that's it?

	The only thing that is a bit annoying is sound (which has been
	reported as working, read the other posts). BTW, integrated
	sound chipset are usually crap.

	ACPI/APIC isn't really necessary (I wasn't using it since DES
	told it was working with NO_MIXED_MODE commented). The MB has
	two integrated networking chipsets, and people usually don't
	care about one not working. And I said I was clueless about USB
	because I wasn't using it.

	That makes the box usuable (remove "totally" if it can make you
	happier).

	My point is that a page with FreeBSD/amd64 status on different
	MBs would be much more useful than "Plz stay away from nvidia,
	this is crap".

--
Florent Thoumie
flz at xbsd.org