Recommendations?

Astrodog astrodog at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 05:10:50 PDT 2005

On 4/15/05, Tomaz Borstnar <tomaz.borstnar at over.net> wrote:
> At 19:28 14.4.2005, shamz wrote:
> > > Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:
> > >
> > >Please stop spreading this little piece of disinformation.  nForce3
> > >motherboards such as the Asus SK8N should work fine.
> >
> >         Unfortunately you are almost totally alone in this assessment.
>
> nope, he is not. I have few good successes with nforce2-250 boards.  Yes,
> nForce3-150 is extremely broken chipset which is still present in many
> currently selling amd64 notebooks. But nForce3-250 seems fine for most
> uses. I have good experience with both VIA KT800Pro and nForce3-250 chipsets.
>
> Tomaz

The issue isn't nessiarily with all Nforce boards. Its just that
unlike the KT800 boards, a decent percentage of the nforce boards just
don't work right. Very few KT800 boards share this issue. So unless
you're willing to do a decent ammount of research, and testing, and
debugging, buying an nforce board to run FreeBSD on is a bad idea, in
general. Not always. Some work great. But enough don't, that such an
endevour shouldn't be taken lightly, since it could be a huge pain in
the ass.