Recommendations?

Ganael Laplanche ganael.laplanche at martymac.com
Thu Apr 14 14:54:37 PDT 2005

> > Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:
> >Jung-uk Kim <jkim at niksun.com> writes:
> >> Stay away from nForce chipsets.
> >
> >Please stop spreading this little piece of disinformation.  nForce3
> >motherboards such as the Asus SK8N should work fine.
>
> 	Unfortunately you are almost totally alone in this assessment.
> Everyone from the original amd64 porter on down has basically said, "stay
> away" from nforce3 based motherboards.  A quick search in the archive will
> give you more than enough technical reasons as well as a litany of
> complaints and frustration at forcing the nforce3 boards to work in spite
> of the many good reasons why they shouldn't.
>
> This is in no way disinformation.  Sorry, DES, if I didn't know better,
>  I'd think you were trying to cover up for some poor purchasing
> choices, hehe...
>
> Anyone interested should dig through the archives and find the past
> discussions as well as the previously maintained list of motherboards and
> users' experiences with them.  I'd exstimate that you'd be hard-
> pressed to find someone who has an nforce3-based board and would
> recommend them to anyone else (unless they use windows...)

Right, I'm running Asus K8N-E deluxe (nforce3 250) and having much trouble with
agp which is not supported... Other "parts" of the card work correctly (haven't
tried nvnet, nor the audio chipset). You should avoid this kind of chipset for
another reason : Nvidia doesn't provide nforce drivers for FreeBSD (they do for
GNU/Linux) - see http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=41545&page=1&pp=15

Ganael.