grub port question

Willem Jan Withagen wjw at withagen.nl
Thu Sep 30 14:24:11 PDT 2004

Rob wrote:

> Peter Wemm wrote:
>
>> On Thursday 30 September 2004 10:03 am, Rob wrote:
>>

>>> I was going to try to use grub for booting from my multidisk system,
>>> as I was told that the bootup process is done in i386, then it is
>>> transfered to 64 bit mode.  So grub works OK.   But last nite I tried
>>> to install grub from ports and got the message immediately
>>> (paraphrasing) "that I could not compile a 32 bit application on a 64
>>> bit OS."
>>>
>>> So now I'm really confused LOL.
>>>

>> In a nutshell, the toolchain has various flags/switches to control
>> its operating mode.  For example, gcc has -m32 and -m64.  The catch
>> is that we do not install the 32 bit version of the include files
>> yet.  And you have to use tools/lib32/build32.sh to build the 32 bit
>> libraries.  The rest of the toolchain has various mode switches.  eg:
>> as --32 etc.  gcc could be slightly tweaked to use the correct
>> include and library paths, but for now it needs horrible -I and -L
>> switches.
>>
>> However, the port problem is that it doesn't know any of these magic
>> options.  I hate to say it, but the easiest thing is probably to just
>> fetch the i386 package for now.  If pkg_add won't do it, then it
>> should be possible to extract the tarball by hand and do the deed.
>> Not pretty, I know.

This was probably due to the cryptic information I mailed.
I should have mentioned that you need to compile it on the i386
platform, which is also the location where I installed it.
This all under the assumption that you would also like to install a
FreeBSD-i386, like I did.

Sorry for the misinformation.
--WjW