i386 or AMD64?

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Wed Sep 29 02:43:18 PDT 2004

Sean McNeil <sean at mcneil.com> wrote:
 > My main system is an amd64 running -current.  Everything works great:
 > gnome, kde, ogg encode/decode, etc.  Linux32 compatibility is working as
 > well.  I can even run java apps with Linux32.  The only thing lacking
 > for me is native java so I can have java support in the browser and get
 > eclipse going.

Can't you just use the Linux binary of the browser and then
use the Linux java support?  That's what I do on i386, so I
can use all the Linux plugins etc.  (I don't have an amd64
machine, so I can't  say for sure, but it _should_ work
there as well.)

(Personally I'm using Opera for which a FreeBSD/i386 binary
exists, but the Linux binary has been proven to be more
stable in my environment anyway.)

Best regards
   Oliver

"File names are infinite in length, where infinity is set to 255 characters."
        -- Peter Collinson, "The Unix File System"