unable to install beta6 [amd64] on Dell 2850 with 4 GB RAM, workaround

Claus Guttesen cguttesen at yahoo.dk
Tue Sep 28 06:27:39 PDT 2004

Apoligies for crossposting, but ...

Was unable to install the amd64-port on a Dell 2850
with a Perc 4e/Di RAID-controller and dual Nocona at
3.2 GHz. The server has 4 GB RAM. As a last resort I
removed 2 GB RAM, and I was (finally) able to install
FreeBSD.

Applies to at least beta5 and -6.

I was under the impression tha the amd64-port could
see the 4 GB RAM as a flat memory space, so it never
occured to me, than I had to remove 2 GB in order to
perform the installation.

Putting the RAM back makes the server stop during boot
(after it detects the CD-drive).

Claus