NO_MIXED_MODE

David O'Brien obrien at freebsd.org
Mon Sep 20 12:06:53 PDT 2004

On Sun, Sep 19, 2004 at 02:39:55PM -0600, Scott Long wrote:
> >I'll second that motion.  I have the same chipset, and the same problem
> >with NO_MIXED_MODE.  I think we should err on the side of caution with
> >this one.
>
> Let's see what Peter, David, and John say about this.  My understanding
> is that mixed mode has a measurable performance impact, so we don't want
> to turn it on universally unless necessary.

Correct.

> Maybe David knows of a BIOS upgrade that would help your motherboards.

I've never been able to get a sufficiently accurate detailed explanation
of the problem FreeBSD has on this mobo that I could get the BIOS vendor
to fix it; (read, there isn't a fix I know of; but you should be using
the latest '1007' for other reasons).  I've avoided nForce3-150 mobos
like the plague and don't have one for looking into this.

If anyone can dive deeper into this issue, I'd appreciate it and will
work to have the vendor fix it.

--
-- David  (obrien at FreeBSD.org)