Newbie question: current

Adriaan de Groot groot at kde.org
Mon Sep 13 05:18:19 PDT 2004

On Monday 13 September 2004 13:55, P-J Nefkens wrote:
> I've been working on getting my amd64 system ready to replace the
> current system. For some applications I need to recompile the kernel.
> If I do a complete upgrade with the standard-cvsup file, I end up with
> a 6.0 FreeBSD system. Is this system reasonably stable, or should I
> remain with the 5.2.1 release?

5.2.1 is pretty old by now, and there have been considerable improvements -
modules, etc. - since. It's probably best to follow RELENG_5 right now,
although there are rumors [1] that updating _right now_ might be a bad idea
(something to do with the scheduler?).

*default release=cvs tag=RELENG_5

is, I believe, the right supfile syntax.

[1] Dammit, I know I ought to read -current as well, but there's only so many
high-volume lists a guy can plow through.

--
As of September 1st, 2004, the University of Nijmegen will _still_ be the
University of Nijmegen, but with a different nonsensical adjective in front.