amd64/73322: unarchiving /etc to msdos fs locks up amd64 system

Sean McNeil sean at mcneil.com
Sat Oct 30 12:30:19 PDT 2004

>Number:         73322
>Category:       amd64
>Synopsis:       unarchiving /etc to msdos fs locks up amd64 system
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Environment:
FreeBSD server.mcneil.com 6.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 6.0-CURRENT #46: Fri Oct 29 14:37:40 PDT 2004     root at server.mcneil.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/AMD64  amd64

Certain functionality appears to be broken with the msdos filesystem.  With a usb pen drive (either uhci or ehci) I can read and write files but if I attempt to unarchive /etc it will cause my system to lock up without a trace or going to debug.

This could be an issue with USB.  I do not have another type of device with an msdos filesystem to verify.
>How-To-Repeat:
/etc/malloc.conf is a symlink to "aj"

mount an msdos filesystem to /mnt
cd /