FreeBSD 5.3 problem on Dual AMD64 2.2GHz with 8GB RAM

Ganbold ganbold at micom.mng.net
Wed Oct 27 19:18:33 PDT 2004

Hi,

At 01:55 AM 10/28/2004, you wrote:
>On Wed, Oct 27, 2004 at 11:12:31AM +0900, Ganbold wrote:
> work. You
> > >
> > >An IBM e325 has only 6 DIMM slots, specifically what RAM configuration
> > >are you using?  Do you have ECC turned on?  Are using DRAM scrubbing?
> > >What is your BIOS memory interleaving settings?
> >
> > I have 2GB x 4 = 8GB RAM and ECC is turned on and I have following
> settings
> > in BIOS:
>
>By chance, have you tried both with 4GB per CPU and with all 8GB on one
>CPU?  Did it make a difference?

You mean kernel compiled without SMP options? I tried only with dual CPU.
It is not working with 8GB.

> > 4GB Memory Hole adjust  -> AUTO
>
>I would turn this off (disable).

This has only 2 options, AUTO and Manual. If I select Manual, I have to
adjust 4GB memory hole size, which
has 64mb, 128mb, 256mb, 512mb, 1gb options. What should I choose?

> > DRAM Bank interleave            -> AUTO
> > Node memory interleave  -> Disabled
> > ACPI SRAT table         -> Disabled
>
>I would enable the SRAT table, but do keep disabled the Node memory
>interleave.  FreeBSD will not use the SRAT table, but with it
>ON/Enabled/AUTO I know the CPU will be set up a certain way that we do
>want.
>
> > HPET Timer                      -> Enabled
> > ECC                             -> Enabled
> > DRAM ECC                        -> Enabled
> > ECC Scrub Redirection           -> Disabled
>
>I would turn on ECC Scrub Redirection, but thats just to gain reliability.

I will try above configurations and let you know.

>I would also download the latest memtest86+ ISO image from
>www.memtest.org, burn it to CDROM, and see if all your RAM passes.  I
>assume it is IBM [re]branded?

It is IBM, RAM is 4x2GB DDR PC2700. I tried IBM diagnostic tools to test
memory,
but somehow it didn't finish. I will try memtest.

Ganbold