amd64/73111: Optimized libc string functions missing for amd64

John-Mark Gurney gurney_j at resnet.uoregon.edu
Mon Oct 25 10:10:21 PDT 2004

The following reply was made to PR amd64/73111; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j at resnet.uoregon.edu>
To: Ville-Pertti Keinonen <will at iki.fi>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit at FreeBSD.org
Subject: Re: amd64/73111: Optimized libc string functions missing for amd64
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 10:03:20 -0700

 Ville-Pertti Keinonen wrote this message on Mon, Oct 25, 2004 at 11:53 +0000:
 > Using optimized assembly language versions of string functions on amd64 (this is already done on other architectures) would probably be a good idea.
 >
 > Functions adapted from NetBSD (which can be extracted into /usr/src for inclusion in a buildworld) are available at the following URL:
 > http://will.iki.fi/patches/libc-amd64-string.tar.gz
 >
 > I mentioned the issue on -current, but this didn't result in any discussion.
 >
 > The NetBSD functions may or may not all be desirable in their current form; some of the functions have extensive unrolling and may produce a performance penalty for short strings (but a huge advantage for longer ones).

 Have you run some benchmarks to validate that the assembly optimized
 code is faster than the c generated?  if you need help analyzing the
 benchmark numbers, look at ministat in src/tools/tools/ministat...

 --
   John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579