amd64 on Asus K8V SE Deluxe

Sean McNeil sean at mcneil.com
Sat Oct 2 12:10:26 PDT 2004

On Sat, 2004-10-02 at 12:00, Mikhail P. wrote:
> On Saturday 02 October 2004 18:48, Alex D'Elia wrote:
> > pcm0: <VIA VT8237> port 0xc800-0xc8ff irq 22 at device 17.5 on pci0
> > pcm0: [GIANT-LOCKED]
> > pcm0: <Analog Devices AD1980 AC97 Codec>
>
> That's good.
>

> > now one last issue for me, is the Linux compatibility, but I think
> > that must be a problem, as it seems that the emulation works
> > only for i386 archs ! mhh !!
>
> Yes, that's the issue with linux compatibility on amd64..
> It seems like you'll be using computer as desktop, so I would suggest that you
> switch to 32bit mode - it will be still (almost) as fast as in 64bit - and
> install i386 distribution. That way you will have much less issues with
> emulation/multimedia.

32-bit Linux emulation would be all he could use in 32-bit mode anyway.
Linux32 emulation works great for me and I have no significant issues
with anything running in 64-bit mode natively either.  The only
exception being the lack of a Java VM.  This is a well-known limitation
that will hopefully be addressed when Suns Java 5 comes out with a
source license in a few more weeks.

Cheers,
Sean