isp driver not 64 bit?

Wilko Bulte wb at freebie.xs4all.nl
Tue Nov 30 12:26:43 PST 2004

On Tue, Nov 30, 2004 at 12:22:23PM -0800, Peter Wemm wrote..
> On Tuesday 30 November 2004 11:39 am, Wilko Bulte wrote:
> > On Mon, Nov 29, 2004 at 08:05:39PM -0500, freebsd-list at dclg.ca
> > wrote..
> >
> > > After a bunch of frustrating debugging, I've tenatively come to the
> > > conclusion that the isp(4) driver is not 64 bit safe --- at the
> > > very least insofar as the amd64 platform is concerned.
> >
> > Side note:  isp(4) has been in use for years on Alpha, and I do not
> > recall having seen problems like yours on it.  Mind you, not much FC
> > connections I ever used on it.  The only thing critical for success
> > on Alpha is loading ispfw.ko *always*.  Matt (mjacob) has noted that
> > multiple times, and he is absolutely right.
> >
> > Wilko
>
> I haven't seen an alpha with more than 2G of ram that we booted on.  Is
> it possible that isp has never been tested with >4G ram?

Quite possible as far as Alpha is concerned.  You are correct about the
2G, on a lot of Alpha models it is less than that (IIRC..)

> Third, is this a machine ram size problem or a disk volume size problem?
> The original post was about a 131G FC volume and calculating the wrong
> number of sectors and the wrong sector size...

Given time (....) I could test up to 2TB volumes using FC / isp(4)
at work.  But not on amd64 as we do not currently have such a machine :)

W/
--
Wilko Bulte				wilko at FreeBSD.org