error message: "NOTE: BIOS IS NOT INSTALLED"

Peter Wemm peter at wemm.org
Sat Nov 27 12:28:28 PST 2004

On Saturday 27 November 2004 05:57 am, Marta Resende wrote:
> hello, i had freebsd working in my machine(amd athlon xp and asus
> mobo), and today, i change the motherboard and cpu, and when i turn
> on the computer, it says: [NOTE]: THE BIOS IS NOT INSTALLED.

This is generally for things like the SATA bios.  Many athlon64
motherboards have two SATA controllers... one is the on-chip VIA
controller, the other is the Promise raid controller.  If you have
drives connected to just the Promise, then the VIA SATA BIOS will say
"no drives attached" and "BIOS NOT INSTALLED".  All this means is that
the bios support for accessing the SATA drives wasn't activated because
there is no point... no drives!

Peter Wemm - peter at wemm.org; peter at FreeBSD.org; peter at yahoo-inc.com