acroread on the amd64

Conrad J. Sabatier conrads at cox.net
Wed Nov 24 12:01:55 PST 2004

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 11:42:39 -0800, Brooks Davis
<brooks at one-eyed-alien.net> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 24, 2004 at 02:57:07PM -0500, Chuck Robey wrote:
> > I noticed that acroread is marked as being only for the i386 ... I
> > have a question about that ... I'm a little new at running the
> > amd64, but I thought that it was compatible (if it had the 32 bit
> > libraries installed to support it) with i386, so I would have
> > expected my amd64 machine to be ablel to run acroread with little
> > trouble.  The port being marked as"ONLY_FOR_ARCHS", well, I
> > considered, *possibly*, that the port author hadn't had the testing
> > capability, and maybe it did too work on the amd64.
>
> If you get 32-bit linux compatability running then acrobat should
> work.

Not only should, but actually does.  :-)

> This is actually a deficencly in our ports infrastructure.  For
> binary only ports, we could really use the ability to say that the
> port supports the following native architectures and the system should
> be smart enough to know that i386 ports will work on amd64.

Yes, I've tinkered with a number of ONLY_FOR_ARCHS ports on amd64, and
gotten them to build and run successfully.  I really should send-pr
these (if I can remember now which ones they were).  :-)

--
Conrad J. Sabatier <conrads at cox.net> -- "In Unix veritas"