acroread on the amd64

Brooks Davis brooks at one-eyed-alien.net
Wed Nov 24 11:42:20 PST 2004

On Wed, Nov 24, 2004 at 02:57:07PM -0500, Chuck Robey wrote:
> I noticed that acroread is marked as being only for the i386 ... I have a
> question about that ... I'm a little new at running the amd64, but I
> thought that it was compatible (if it had the 32 bit libraries installed
> to support it) with i386, so I would have expected my amd64 machine to be
> ablel to run acroread with little trouble.  The port being marked
> as"ONLY_FOR_ARCHS", well, I considered, *possibly*, that the port author
> hadn't had the testing capability, and maybe it did too work on the amd64.

If you get 32-bit linux compatability running then acrobat should work.
This is actually a deficencly in our ports infrastructure.  For binary
only ports, we could really use the ability to say that the port
supports the following native architectures and the system should be
smart enough to know that i386 ports will work on amd64.

> Anyone have more detailed info about that?  Notice, I didn't mail to
> freeBSD-ports, I don't know how strict our mailing list filters are, I
> thought they'd probably kick me out if I tried to cross-post.

A single cross post will work.

-- Brooks