jdk @ amd64?

Sean McNeil sean at mcneil.com
Fri Nov 19 17:11:44 PST 2004

On Fri, 2004-11-19 at 16:58 -0800, David O'Brien wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 20, 2004 at 12:33:51AM +0100, Palle Girgensohn wrote:
> > I've been trying to dig the archives for info about running a native JDK
> > 1.4 on an AMD64 system (Dell 2850, really "EM64T"?).
> >
> > Can anyone get me up to speed with how this is done, if it is possible? Do
> > I need lib32 stuff to run the jdk, and is that what the
> > src/tools/lib32/build32.sh script creates? Is it not possible to run the
> > JDK in "native" AMD64?
>
> Sun did not port the JDK to the AMD64 platform until version 1.5.  So if
> you want 1.4 you have to use a 32-bit version.  You can either use the
> Linux JDK or maybe even the 32-bit FreeBSD/i386 one.

JDK 1.5 sources are now available from Sun and the Java team is working
on a native version (first i386, then amd64).  I am eagerly awaiting
this myself and have given some thought at trying out 1.5 sources.  In
the meantime, I am using jdk 1.4 in Linux32 compatibility mode.  This
doesn't help in all cases as things like Eclipse needs a native Java.