Compaq 3000Z Laptops (And some misc. others)

Astrodog astrodog at gmail.com
Tue Nov 9 01:39:01 GMT 2004

After browsing the lists for awhile for information on this problem, I
figured I'd share my... findings, as it were, with interested parties.

The showstopping glitch that appears to occur on the Compaq 3000Z
Series of laptops relates to the keyboard test interrupt. As best as I
can tell, Nvidia for the mobile version of their chipset, or Compaq,
has remapped the keyboard test, to instead perform a system reboot.
This behavior exists under any boot options, and the only known
workaround I am aware of is to apply a patch to the kernel sources. As
a result, for the past month or so, I've been tracking FreeBSD
-CURRENT with the patch applied, and producing ISO Images of the
modified setup. If there is a way to test for a specific chipset, and
to use the patched code if it is detected, merging that on to the main
tree would be most appreiated.

The other major glitch appears to be in APIC support. I haven't tested
this much though, as the above error is, in my opinion, a much larger
issue.

If, for whatever reason, there is no way to merge the patch, I can
start making the -CURRENT snapshots we use internally avalibile, and
anyone who is interested in getting a copy is more than welcome to
e-mail me.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to assist in
troubleshooting these two problems.

--- Harrison Grundy