Dual AMD64, APCI woes, 5.3 RC2, Help!

John Baldwin jhb at FreeBSD.org
Mon Nov 8 10:49:50 PST 2004

On Sunday 07 November 2004 08:33 pm, Tom Krouper wrote:
> This e-mail may seem very familiar. It was posted back in September by
> a co-worker, but I don't think he ever responded to the responses he
> got. Here is the entire e-mail that he has sent. The only difference
> from the original is that we tried installing 5.3 RC2 instead of 5.2.1
> Release. I've also added the version of BIOS as requested by someone
> on the list. In addition, I have not been able to get the ACPI
> disabled install to work. (Though I'll admit I didn't take much time
> trying to get it to work.)

You'll need to install the box with ACPI disabled for now, then build a test
kernel with DDB, KDB, INVARIANTS, etc. in it.  Boot the test kernel, when it
hangs, use Ctrl-Alt-Esc to break into the debugger and 'show intrcnt' to dump
the interrupt counts.  The problem is likely some sort of interrupt storm due
to PCI interrupt routing being busted or some such.  Also, I would look for a
BIOS upgrade just in case.