Why is MySQL nearly twice as fast on Linux/AMD64 Vs. FreeBSD/AMD64?

JG amd64list at jpgsworld.com
Thu May 20 09:53:27 PDT 2004

At 05:44 PM 5/20/2004 +0100, you wrote:
>Great minds... :)
>If you've gone to the trouble of installing i386 I wouldn't limit your
>tests to
>just WITH_LINUXTHREADS=yes, but also try pthreads as well it could be
>an AMD64 specific issue with pthreads implementation but I doubt it.

Oh I definitely will.

Actually it just finished installing and I'm building cvsup right now.

Should I bring it up to -CURRENT first you think?

It's a 5.2.1 disc from maybe a couple months ago.

I'm almost wondering if I shouldn't have tried 4.9-STABLE first.

Is there some kind test I can run to find out if SMP is actually being used
efficiently or not?

John-Mark said something earlier about watching output of "vmstat -w 1" and
if the ID's don't
drop below 20 then I am probably only using a single CPU. Well, I hope
that's not the case
because I ran that while cvsup was compiling (it just finished) and the
ID's never dropped
below 50.