freebsd-amd64 Digest, Vol 39, Issue 3

Quincey Koziol koziol at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Wed Mar 3 14:04:56 PST 2004

[ PGP not available, raw data follows ]

> On Wednesday 03 March 2004 22:01, Quincey Koziol wrote:
> > with ACPI disabled), I'm back to the same behavior as when I boot the 5.2.1
> > CD-ROM itself - the system is _glacially_ slow, taking many, many minutes
> > to make progress in booting and making interactive use (at the console,
> > since network connections always time-out) extremely difficult.
>
> Remember, glaciers are retreating at record speed, so glacial is a relative
> term :)
    :-)

> >     Is this a general symptom of amd64 machines that others have seen?
> > Would disabling "INVARIANTS" or "WITNESS" in the GENERIC kernel build help?
>
> I've got -CURRENT GENERIC here, with
>
> options         DDB                     # Enable the kernel debugger
> options         INVARIANTS              # Enable calls of extra sanity
> checking
> options         INVARIANT_SUPPORT       # Extra sanity checks of internal
> struc
> tures, required by INVARIANTS
> options         WITNESS                 # Enable checks to detect deadlocks
> and
>  cycles
> options         WITNESS_SKIPSPIN        # Don't run witness on spinlocks for
> sp
>
> in addition, my make.conf sets -g for everything, so the whole system is built
> with debugging all the time. It runs smoothly.
    Hmm, what motherboard are you using?  I've got an MSI K8T Master-FAR2 in
this system.  Is anyone out there successfully using this motherboard with
FreeBSD 5-CURRENT?
    I'm rebuilding with a stripped-down GENERIC config that eliminates lots of
unnecessary hardware controllers, possibly that will fix it...

    Thanks,
        Quincey