[freebsd-amd64] Possible 3ware 8506-12 SATA Controller issues...

Paul Saab ps at mu.org
Wed Jun 23 20:42:15 GMT 2004

Vinod Kashyap (vkashyap at amcc.com) wrote:
> How do you make sure that it will at least work?  By testing it, right?
> And you cannot do a half-a** testing since people can run into problems
> and you can be inundated with calls.  So, thorough testing will need to
> be done, and it will take resources.  A company will be ready to allocate
> resources only if there's ROI.  That's reality!
>
> If you want to make it work on amd64, by all means, go ahead!

And then there are companies who work with the community to make the
drivers and cards work well on all platforms regardless of ROI because
there's a commitment to the project as a whole.  I'm sure all the amd64
issues are very minor and will only require a small amount of changes,
because that's the way things work.  Sometimes you need to make a little
investment in things to make the ROI actually happen.