CPUTYPE in /etc/make.conf

David O'Brien obrien at freebsd.org
Fri Jun 11 17:37:34 GMT 2004

On Fri, Jun 11, 2004 at 03:02:38AM -0500, Conrad J. Sabatier wrote:
> Could someone please confirm for me whether or not I'm using the best
> CPUTYPE for my processor?

Don't use ANY CPUTYPE in /etc/make.conf.
(I assume you're running in 64-bit mode since you're asking on this list
and not another).

There is no reason to specify one at all.  There is a single CPU core for
AMD64 right now, so GCC knows exactly what core you have and what to do
for it.

> Is athlon-xp the correct choice for this particular model?

Only if running in 32-bit mode.

--
-- David  (obrien at FreeBSD.org)