Optimizationsdisabled?

Mike Jakubik mikej at rogers.com
Fri Jun 11 17:32:53 GMT 2004

Hello,

I have recntly aquired an AMD64 machine, and during an update to -CURRENT
i noticed that the compiler options seem to eliminate a lot of
optimizations such as mfpmath=387 -mno-sse -mno-sse2 -mno-mmx -mno-3dnow
-msoft-float etc.. Does this mean all of these are disbled? Also, setting
CPUTYPE to athlon-xp does not seem to affect the optimizations at all
(even when compiling ports). I was hoping to run a full 64bit system, but
this is sort of discouraging. Can some shed some light as to why this is?

Thanks.

Here is an example, during a kernel compile:

---

cc -O -pipe   -D_KERNEL -DKLD_MODULE -nostdinc -I-   -include
/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/MAIL/opt_global.h -I. -I@ -I@/../include
-finline-limit=8000 -fno-common  -I/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/MAIL
-mcmodel=kernel -mno-red-zone  -mfpmath=387 -mno-sse -mno-sse2 -mno-mmx
-mno-3dnow  -msoft-float -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables -ffreestanding
-Wall -Wredundant-decls -Wnested-externs -Wstrict-prototypes
-Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith -Winline -Wcast-qual
-fformat-extensions -std=c99 -c /usr/src/sys/net80211/ieee80211_output.c

---