All my amd64 problems appear to be KSE

Tim Robbins tim at robbins.dropbear.id.au
Sat Jun 5 16:30:16 GMT 2004

On Sat, Jun 05, 2004 at 12:06:01PM -0400, Daniel Eischen wrote:
> On Sun, 6 Jun 2004, Tim Robbins wrote:

> > > Sorry, unless you have tried using libmap to map libc_r to
>                                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > > libpthread, I don't trust that.
>     ^^^^^^^^^^
>
> ???
>
> This is the first thing that I would ask anyone to try, and it's
> very simple to do.  Noone (or do we now spell it as 'no_one' ;-))
> has said, "yes, I've done that and it doesn't help".
>
> > I can corroborate what Sean is saying. There is definitely something wrong
> > with KSE on amd64 (I haven't tried it on i386.) I've been chasing it down,
> > on-and-off, for about a month, but have come up with nothing so far.
> > gnome-terminal and xmms are two examples of applications that have gone
> > from unusable to usable after changing from libpthread to libc_r. Mozilla
> > may also be affected, but I'm less sure of that. The applications in
> > question just mysteriously vanish, sometimes with signal 10 or 11, sometimes
> > with no signal in the kernel log at all.
>
> Is it something recent that broke?  Last I knew, libpthread was working
> on amd64 with mozilla & kde.

KDE works flawlessly. Mozilla almost works, but suffers from the "mysterious
vanishing" I mentioned.

If you want to reproduce the problems, either:
(a) Fire up gnome-terminal, open a few new tabs, close them again, repeat
    until it crashes. It often takes only 2-3 invocations of "Open Tab"
    to make it happen.
(b) Load a handful of MP3 files into XMMS, click the next/previous
    track buttons once every few seconds until it crashes.

Everything seems to work fine if I build libpthread with SYSTEM_SCOPE_ONLY
(at least it hasn't crashed so far.) My current guess is that there's a
bug in context manipulation or signals. I initially thought we weren't
saving enough FPU context in _amd64_save_context, but adding an fxsave
in there didn't help.

Tim