All my amd64 problems appear to be KSE

Daniel Eischen eischen at vigrid.com
Sat Jun 5 16:06:03 GMT 2004

On Sun, 6 Jun 2004, Tim Robbins wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 05, 2004 at 10:22:58AM -0400, Daniel Eischen wrote:

> > > This is a completely rebuilt machine from a working i386 install that
> > > has tracked -current forever.  There is absolutely nothing that is
> > > compiled and pointing to libc_r.
> >
> > Sorry, unless you have tried using libmap to map libc_r to
                                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > libpthread, I don't trust that.
    ^^^^^^^^^^

???

This is the first thing that I would ask anyone to try, and it's
very simple to do.  Noone (or do we now spell it as 'no_one' ;-))
has said, "yes, I've done that and it doesn't help".

> I can corroborate what Sean is saying. There is definitely something wrong
> with KSE on amd64 (I haven't tried it on i386.) I've been chasing it down,
> on-and-off, for about a month, but have come up with nothing so far.
> gnome-terminal and xmms are two examples of applications that have gone
> from unusable to usable after changing from libpthread to libc_r. Mozilla
> may also be affected, but I'm less sure of that. The applications in
> question just mysteriously vanish, sometimes with signal 10 or 11, sometimes
> with no signal in the kernel log at all.

Is it something recent that broke?  Last I knew, libpthread was working
on amd64 with mozilla & kde.

--
Dan Eischen