possible bad eeprom data on k8v boards?

K Chapman tech2187 at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 7 20:09:21 PDT 2004

--- Adriaan de Groot <adridg at cs.kun.nl> wrote:
> OK, I've checked again, and this board _is_ a K8V SE
> Deluxe (it says so when
> booting). I've munged the sk startup routines to
> print the stuff we read from
> the VPD, and get the stuff at the bottom of this
> message. The offsets are
> different from what linux uses, perhaps because we
> read the name separately
> (and also because I didn't bother to print out the
> corrected offset). There's
> only one bit where there's a 38 xx 45 in this
> listing, and it doesn't match
> the 3c that that linux patch checks for (xx=38,
> which is what the patch
> _corrects_ it to, so I'm going to imagine that this
> EEPROM is ok).
>

> Next stop, just sending audio through it until it
> stops - the usage scenario
> that most often locks up the interface. Tonight's
> selction, all the
> Tragically Hip albums, alphabetically.
>

> for (i = 0; i < res.vr_len + 1; i++)
> {
>     sc->sk_vpd_readonly[i] = sk_vpd_readbyte(sc, i +
> pos);
>     printf("skc%d: bytes [%x]
> %x\n",sc->sk_unit,i,sc->sk_vpd_readonly[i]);
> }
im no bsd driver expert, for sure...  experts please
step forward...  can you  dump out
sc->sk_vpd_readonly?
i did and it returns (in part) PN40-0779-000ERev 1.2MN
3ComSN
40-0779-000 is the 'id' for the 3c940, ref site:
http://www.idhw.com/textual/chip/3com/chippicture.html

it would be interesting to see what the k8vse readonly
vpd returns.  the linux driver seems to read the enire
vpd, and parse it for the name, vendor id, readonly,
r/w, etc. parts of the vpd.  so i would agree that
using 0x3f (for example) in freebsd isnt the same as
in linux

=====
aaarrrggghhh!!!!
FreeBSD rocks