Migrating i386 to amd64

Michael Reifenberger mike at Reifenberger.com
Fri Dec 31 13:17:23 PST 2004

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004, Ade Lovett wrote:
>> Do my old i386 ports (like X etc) work under amd64?
>
> Simple answer.  No.  Steps (1) and (2) above are implying a complete binary
> system reinstall.  Part of the data you should probably be backing up is a
> list of installed packages so you can put the amd64 ones back in after
> installing kernel+userland.

Autsch.
Thats what I didn't want to hear.
Thanks anyway!

BTW: Do I have any benefit of using this hardware (2GB RAM) with amd64
in favour of i386 (besides a bigger virtual address space)?

Bye/2
---
Michael Reifenberger, Business Development Manager SAP-Basis, Plaut Consulting
Comp: Michael.Reifenberger at plaut.de | Priv: Michael at Reifenberger.com
       http://www.plaut.de           |       http://www.Reifenberger.com