OT Re: AMD64- Solutions

Steve Kargl sgk at troutmask.apl.washington.edu
Thu Dec 2 22:02:57 PST 2004

On Fri, Dec 03, 2004 at 02:08:15PM +0900, Tommi L?tti wrote:
> Steve Kargl wrote:
> >As far as my jobs, I run numerical simulations of heat
> >transfer in biological tissues and nonlinear acoustics.
> >The numerical techniques are standard and hybrid finite
> >difference solutions to coupled PDEs.  I can easily
> >consume the 16 GB if not more memory as I add more
> >realistic physics to the problem.
>
> Interesting. Are you using a home-brewn software for analysis or are you
> running a commercial package?

I use homebrewed in that I write all my own numerical codes
in Fortran 90/95.  I can profile the code and identify
numerical and time consuming bottlenecks where I can spend my
time optimizing the algorithms.  I have found that I simply
cannot get any performance out of any matlab solution (not
to mention that matlab restricts one to at most 2 GB of
memory).

> I'm doing some electrophysiology research (in vivo and in vitro) and
> we're contemplating currently using some Matlab and/or Labview for
> analyzis. The Lynx produces some 64 channels of data and one run can
> easily amount a couple of gigs worth of files... which would easily
> warrant the use of some 2-way+ configurations. Although matlab doesn't
> thread...

If you already have matlab code in house, then check out octave.
You can find it in ports/math/octave.  I have been able to run
most matlab codes given to me by others with little or no changes.
octave actually uses the system's memory better than matlab
can.

--
Steve