Kernel Build errors

Sean McNeil sean at mcneil.com
Thu Dec 2 10:37:59 PST 2004

On Thu, 2004-12-02 at 12:34 -0600, nmeverde at np.k12.mn.us wrote:
> > Well, I tried to compile GENERIC kernel for my Athlon64 and result was:
> > What should I do? Help plz...

[snip]
> is there a reason your building the kernel the old school way?
> read /usr/src/Makefile
>
> try this:
> cd /usr/src/
> make TARGET_ARCH=amd64 buildkernel

The old school way should still be supported.  The problem, however,
appears to be that you are attempting to cross compile an amd64 kernel
on an i386 system.  I'm guessing that the old school way doesn't support
that.  Originally, that is exactly what I did - cross from i386 to
amd64.  I think I did it the new(er) way, though, with:

make TARGET_ARCH=amd64 buildworld
make TARGET_ARCH=amd64 buildkernel

It has been a long time since I did this and I can't recall completely
how I accomplished it.  You will have serious headaches if you try to
install world on top of an i386 system.  Do not attempt unless you know
exactly what you are doing.

Of course, the best thing to do is to install a fresh copy of FreeBSD
from an amd64 version of 5.3.

Cheers,
Sean