acroread on the amd64

David O'Brien obrien at freebsd.org
Wed Dec 1 01:08:53 PST 2004

On Wed, Nov 24, 2004 at 02:57:07PM -0500, Chuck Robey wrote:
> I noticed that acroread is marked as being only for the i386 ... I have a
> question about that ... I'm a little new at running the amd64, but I
> thought that it was compatible (if it had the 32 bit libraries installed
> to support it) with i386, so I would have expected my amd64 machine to be
> ablel to run acroread with little trouble.  The port being marked
> as"ONLY_FOR_ARCHS", well, I considered, *possibly*, that the port author
> hadn't had the testing capability, and maybe it did too work on the amd64.

The problem is that running i386 Linux binaries on FreeBSD/amd64 is still
a hack job in that none of the /usr/ports framework was made to actually
support this.

None of the linux_base* ports will install on FreeBSD/amd64, and that is
a requirement of acroread.  You can install Slackware i386 libs by hand
and get acroread to run.

--
-- David  (obrien at FreeBSD.org)