Issues with dual Opteron

Jack Twilley jmt at twilley.org
Wed Aug 11 14:58:47 PDT 2004

I've got a dual Opteron box (ARIMA motherboard) with 2 3.06GHz
processors and 8G of RAM.  It hangs silently within twenty minutes of
being started.  The same box runs for days running a burnin test on
Windows XP.  When I strip the memory down to 2G of RAM, the box runs
indefinitely until it actually has to do something -- "make
buildworld" hangs the machine within thirty seconds, usually.

There's no obvious data in the logs to indicate what's gone wrong.
If anyone can suggest how to make this machine work more reliably,
please say so.  If more diagnostic information is needed, just tell me
how to gather it.

Thanks for all your help!

Jack.
--