amd64 support in linux emulation

Peter Wemm peter at wemm.org
Fri Oct 17 10:42:59 PDT 2003

"Steven Hartland" wrote:
> With the amd64 support progressing nicely I was wondering
> it anyone was actively looking at the linux emulation layer.
> If so do we have an idea of the working envolved? Would
> be great to get some hlds servers up using the native amd64
> compile provided by Valve.

I've been thinking about this for the last day or so.  We also need to
be able to run 32 bit linux binaries, probably more urgently than 64 bit
linux binaries.  The thought of having two linux emulators in the kernel
gave me a headache.

But yes, it something high on the list of things that need to be done.
There are a few more critical things that need doing in order to have a
justifiable claim to tier-1 status (smp, certain optimizations, etc).

Cheers,
-Peter
Peter Wemm - peter at wemm.org; peter at FreeBSD.org; peter at yahoo-inc.com