amd64 as an X desktop?

Munish Chopra chopra at soulwax.net
Fri Oct 3 15:10:13 PDT 2003

On 2003-10-03 23:51 +0200, Adriaan de Groot wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
> Thanks for the informative post. So amd64 is headed for tier-1 status?

That's been my understanding for a while.

[...]

> > No, we do not have a driver for the onboard nvidia ethernet on the nforce3,
> > but some of the boards I've seen have a realtek 8110 based gigabit ethernet
> > (no driver) or a 3com/marvell gigabit chip (I dont know what this chip is).
>
> This sounds like "there is no Gb LAN support at all anywhere".

I don't know if it helps, but several of the reference (pre-production)
boards shipped with the 3Com stuff on-board. Most, if not all from what
I hear, production boards seem to be shipping with the Realtek
chip. This has apparently caused headaches here and there.

> > The ATA driver doesn't recognize some of the SATA or RAID hardware on these
> > boards, but I've been able to use plain IDE drives no problem.
>
> OK, I guess that's a start.  I can't tell whether the Promise 20378 RAID
> controller is supported from the FBSD x86 HW support page -- that'd
> provide 2 SATA ports already. And the LAN controller seems to be 3Com,
> that can hardly be a problem.

I think Promise has been pretty generous to Soeren so far by providing
him SATA hardware to test with. You might want to check with him for
details.

Good luck.

--
Munish Chopra