amd64 as an X desktop?

Peter Wemm peter at wemm.org
Fri Oct 3 13:54:24 PDT 2003

"Haapanen, Tom" wrote:
> Peter,
>
> Do you know whether anyone has tried a Tyan K8S (I think this is an AMD 8000
> chipset)?  Any chance of SMP support in the near future?

No, I don't know about a Tyan K8S.  It is likely to Just Work though.  I
didn't mention the server-class boards in the previous post - I expect
them all to work fine since they use the AMD chipsets.

As for SMP, I've got a mostly complete set of code that compiles, but the
AP bootstrap code still needs to be finished.  And of course, debugging and
making it actually work rather than just compile. :-)  It shouldn't be long.

> K8S has a Broadcom BCM5704C Ethernet chip, ATI Rage XL video and Promise
> PDC2037x S/ATA RAID.  Plus optionally LSI 53C1030 U320 SCSI.
>
> Is there any point considering building a machine around this board?

Tell you what, build one and send it to me.. I'd be glad to.. errr ``test''
it :-)

Cheers,
-Peter
Peter Wemm - peter at wemm.org; peter at FreeBSD.org; peter at yahoo-inc.com