Boot floppy panic

John Baldwin jhb at FreeBSD.org
Mon Dec 22 08:35:36 PST 2003

On 21-Dec-2003 freebsduser at comcast.net wrote:
> Trying to use the boot floppies kern.flp and mfsroot.flp on an Opteron 246 with an Asus SK8N
> mobo, 1 gb dual channel memory and such. After inserting the MFS root it seems to scoot along
> fine until....
>
> Fatal trap 9: general protection fault while in kernel mode
> instruction pointer = 0x58:0x207c
> stack pointer = 0x10:0xf80
> frame pointer = 0x10:0x0
>               = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 0, gran 0
> processor eflags = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
> current process = 0 (swapper)
> trap number = 9
> panic: general protection fault
> Uptime: 1s

Died in the BIOS.  5.x definitely has grown some kind of bug for the
bios32() stuff.  I get this type of panic on Intel 845 adn 865 motherboards
if ACPI is disabled when the kernel tries to enumerate PnPBIOS devices.
Using an install CD which has a full kernel and includes acpi.ko might
work.  Alternatively, you could try using FreeBSD 5.2/amd64 to run FreeBSD
as a native 64-bit OS.