Current Status ?

Peter Wemm peter at wemm.org
Thu Dec 18 18:42:08 PST 2003

On Thursday 18 December 2003 05:32 pm, joe mcguckin wrote:
> Hi Folks.
>
> What's the current status of AMD64? Does FreeBSD run native 64 bit?
> How stable is it?

Generally its in pretty good shape.  We're looking for a formal tier-1
release for 5.2.  You can grab the release candidates already.

> Is there a preferred motherboard or system vendor?

There are none that I know of that we don't run on.  However, at this
stage, avoid the nVidia nForce based boards like the plague.  There is
something very funny going on with the APIC on that chipset.  I have an
Asus SK8N at home and I turn off the IO apic mode in the bios.

Peter Wemm - peter at wemm.org; peter at FreeBSD.org; peter at yahoo-inc.com